Danna Bowman, Founder
Does Soy Milk Cause Cancer
Despite mounting evidence to the contrary, mainstream nutritional guidelines have instructed Americans to eat soy and drink soy milk. BUT, soy milk is not a healthy choice. By drinking soy milk you are not doing yourself a favor, you are destroying your health. Please, take a look at these reasons why you should avoid soy milk.
- Soybeans contain large quantities of natural toxins or “antinutrients”. Drinking just two glasses of soy milk daily can significantly alter a woman’s menstrual cycle.
- Soy has been found to increase the body’s need for vitamin B12 and vitamin D.
- Soybeans also contain haemagglutinin, a clot-promoting substance that causes your red blood cells to clump.
- 99% of soy is genetically modified. It contains one of the highest contamination by pesticides of any of our foods.
- Soybeans and soy products contain high levels of phytic acid, which inhibits assimilation of calcium, magnesium, copper, iron, and zinc.
- Soy foods contain high levels of toxic aluminum, which negatively effects the nervous system the kidneys and has been linked to the onset of Alzheimer’s.
- Soy contains a compound resembling vitamin B12 that cannot be processed by your body. Thus, soy foods can contribute to B12 deficiency.
- Fragile soy proteins are exposed to high temperatures during processing in order to make soy protein isolate and textured vegetable protein, making them dangerous for human digestion.
- Soy contains toxic isoflavones.The soy isoflavones genistein and daidzein can stimulate existing breast cancer growth showing risk in consuming soy products if a woman has breast cancer. (Annals of Pharmacotherapy 2001 Sep;35(9):118-21).
- Soy contains plant estrogens, called phytoestrogens, which disrupt endocrine function and lead to infertility and breast cancer in women.
Carrageenan in Soy Milk
Many scientific, peer-reviewed studies found that food-grade carrageenan can cause gastrointestinal inflammation, ulcerations, lesions and even colon cancer in laboratory animals. Additionally, recent studies funded by the American Diabetes Association have linked the consumption of food-grade carrageenan to insulin resistance and glucose intolerance in mice.
Take away about Soy Milk and Thyroid Cancer
There is mounting evidence that soy is not good for you. However, some camps say it isn’t as bad as it seems. Does it cause Thyroid Cancer? The truth is still unknown. I encourage you to continue reviewing the evidence against soy if you’re still skeptical. There are also some great books on this topic that document this information in clear detail and provide countless references that you can validate for yourself. One of these books, which I recommend very highly, is The Whole Soy Story by Dr. Kaayla Daniel.
Food Ideas To Eat
If you are looking to supplement your diet to improve or to prolong your thyroid health, it is easy to do. Eat plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits, eat foods that are high in micro and macronutrients, AND add hemp to your diet – it is non-allergenic, clean, gluten-free, and an excellent non-animal protein source.
About the Author
Danna Bowman is the founder of Thyroid Nation. She developed Hashimoto’s after years of unknowingly suffering with hypothyroidism, hormonal imbalances and adrenal fatigue… a real-life roller coaster. Hypothyroidism runs in her family but it was never discussed, unfortunately. Her husband, 2 kids and her, picked up and moved, sight unseen, from Texas to Costa Rica in 2008. She was accurately diagnosed, however, they only offer Levothyroxine or Thyroidectomy as a solution for the disease. After a year of suffering, she turned to the internet and found a doctor in Arizona that would consult with her and prescribe Natural Dessicated Thyroid. After learning and realizing the misinformation and lack of information in Costa Rica and worldwide, she founded the website to help educate others. In 2015, she launched Thyroid Nation RADIO, a weekly thyroid and health, LIVE radio show with her co-host, Tiffany Mladinich. In 2016, together they created a thyroid-friendly, face/body product line of essential oils blends that smell fabulous and are good for you.