Get the latest episode delivered straight to your inbox…
Hey, Thyroid Nation (Thrivers, Warriors and Survivors),
In Episode #114, we talk with special guest, Amy Myers, MD. She is a renowned leader in Functional Medicine and two-time New York Times Bestselling author of The Autoimmune Solution and The Thyroid Connection. She has been featured on The Dr. Oz Show, The New York Post, Women’s Health, Huffington Post, and more. She has helped hundreds of thousands recover from chronic illness through her dietary-based program, The Myers Way®
- Why candida is such a problem for thyroid patients
- What is the gut – thyroid connection?
- What infections have been linked to thyroid dysfunction?
- What are the top toxins that affect the thyroid and how can we avoid them?
- What is EBV and how is it connected to thyroid disease?
- Graves’ symptoms are so bad and typically harder to miss than Hashimoto’s symptoms. Hashimoto’s can be undiagnosed for a long time for a lot of people. (10:20)
- Being on thyroid hormone is not a failure. It just means enough of your thyroid was damaged that you need the extra help. (12:30)
- Typically taught that the thyroid cannot rejuvenate, but it sounds like this may not be quite true. (17:35)
- We eat highly processed diets these days. Our soil is not as nutrient-dense as it used to be. We have genetically modified food. We spray our foods with chemicals. Over-use of antibiotics and acid-blocking medication. Leaky gut is more prevalent. More infections that contribute to many health issues. Toxins such as toxic mold. Heavy metals (e.g. Mercury). Chemicals in the air. Stress. Our lives are filled with stress. We have nutrient deficiencies (e.g. Iodine, Vitamin A, Selenium, B vitamins, Vitamin D). Especially true for thyroid patients. (18:40)
- Candida can be a number one cause for people with leaky gut. Leaky gut opens a gateway potentially for autoimmunity. Estrogen dominance can lead to candida overgrowth. It can also lead to uptake in proteins that bind the thyroid. Being stressed can release cortisol, which drives our sugars up and can lead to candida. High stress and high cortisol also lead to high estrogen, which can lead to candida, as mentioned above. All connected. Very few thyroid patients that Dr Myers has seen don’t have some sort of infection in the gut e.g. parasites, candida, etc. Even if you don’t have digestive issues, your gut is probably compromised in some way if you have an autoimmune condition. (28:00)
- Favorite supplements for candida: enzymatic products that can digest yeast cell wall, coconut oil products that poke holes in yeast cell wall. (31:30)
- How to cut sugar. Everyone is different. Cold turkey works for some. A slower, more gradual approach works for others. But don’t beat yourself up if you find it hard. Candida is a living organism inside you that needs to be fed, and it is going to resist you giving up sugar. (35:00)
PLEASE JOIN US!! Be sure to check out our Radio Show Facebook Group, Hashi’s & Graves. We share information and offer support to those that need it. Each week the upcoming guests are announced and showcased.
Listen LIVE every Wednesday at 12 pm EST & Subscribe on iTunes or Stitcher.
We’d LOVE a review. Check us out on iTunes and let us know what you think!
Please join Danna and Tiffany to lightheartedly, yet thoroughly, discuss thyroid disease with some of the most advanced and innovative physicians, educators, bloggers, thyroid thrivers and advocates available. Our mission is to ensure that no one ever goes undiagnosed and/or undertreated and that all are aware of the intricacies that involve living life to the fullest with thyroid disease. United and informed, we will change the awareness, perception, diagnosis and treatment of thyroid disease. United, we heal.